Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Different Kind of Family

I'd like to dedicate this post to my AFS friends. In just a few shorts month we've gone from being a family. All of us from different countries with different languages, brought together in a way that bonds us for life. Being able to relate to each others' worries, frustrations, and emotions is what brings us close. I have no doubt that without them,things would be 20 times harder. They support me, listen to my troubles, cheer me up, and keep me happy. I laugh with them, cry with them, confide in them, and do last minute Italian homework with them. They are some of the most special people in my life , and always will be. So Mariana, Sol, Lulu, Mateo, Yue, North, Viviana, and Basak, I freaking love you guys.

So I've done some pretty cool things lately. I fed peacocks in the park. We had a birthday party at our Italian lesson. I've eaten pancakes. Christmas is finally starting to arrive! I've gotten packages from my family and a letters from my dad and grandma (Hint: nothing makes me happier than letters!). I took a chemistry test in Italian and actually sort of knew what I was doing. I got asked for directions and even though I couldn't help, I was happy to look like someone who belongs here. I've started watching American Horror Story with Mariana. On Thanksgiving I skyped my family for the first time. I went saw a movie in the cinema and understood.

In about a month I've read 5 books. I've always loved to read but here it is something more. When everyday you are trying to speak and understand and speak another language it's like you're a little kid again when you use your brain. Reading lets me take in lots of information easily and works my brain more intellectually. When I have a book I don't stop reading it, which means it doesn't really last too long. So I'd like to give a shout out to my English teacher for lending me books! And thanks to Amazon for kindles. Right now I'm reading Wuthering Heights. I've also been writing a lot and I'm sort of rediscovering my love for it. I'm writing letters, journal entries, blog posts (sometimes), and essays for English. Being surrounded by Italian and trying to learn it sometimes makes it difficult to find the right words in English but it's a great feeling to exercise my brain and get out my thoughts.

This place is finally starting to feel like home. I miss my family, pets, and friends like crazy but I don't want to leave here! I have no idea what I'll do in July. I might need to be dragged onto the plane and glued to my seat.

See you next post!






Ciao lovies.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know what I am doing when chemistry is in English.

    ReplyDelete